Sunday 24 January 2010

My final feast

Since the summer, we've celebrated local, seasonal, sustainable food at Mudchute Kitchen in our series of Farmyard Feasts. We've honoured Mudchute City Farm's own Tamworth pigs and rare breed lamb, served up platefuls of pumpkin on Hallowe'en, held a midweek South American Fejoida fiesta, Friday night fish supper, a huge christmas ham, and had a lot of fun in the process... 

On the menu tonight, the flavours were rooted firmly North of the border, in celebration of Burns Night. The starter was cullen skink, made with home-smoked haddock, and served with wood-roast garlic crostini. Amazing flavours. 


Main course was haggis, bashed neaps and tatties, and watercress dressed in home-made rasberry vinegar. The haggis tasted so good it made me pity every vegetarian I've ever met... You people really are missing out! 


Dessert was blood orange jelly, with Caledonian cream, Mudchute granola, and home-made candied peel. The jelly and cream were sozzled in Scotch, so if there are any typos, I blame the whiksy.
 

This isn't really my final Feast - how could I stay away? - but it is my last for a little while. I won't be here, but the feasting will continue, and next up it's the turn of the Mudchute Farm cows to play the starring role. Check MudchuteKitchen.org for details. 

So for now, I'll leave things in Philippa's capable hands... She's taught me more than I could possibly imagine, and been a complete inspiration. Thanks also to all the bright, committed and incredibly passionate staff at Mudchute Kitchen, you really are a special bunch. 

Finally, and most importantly, thanks to everyone who's come along to the Feasts and dined with us. We hope you've enjoyed them as much as we have! 

No comments:

Post a Comment