Monday 14 June 2010

Los olivares


If you would have asked me two weeks ago if I'd like to have my own olive grove sometime, I would have gone misty-eyed at the thought of hazy evenings spent strolling along the terraces, plucking fruits off the trees, and once a year, carting my crop of olives up to the press to make my batch of oil.

Now, after having spent the last ten days or so working at la Finca El Cercardo, I have something of a better idea of exactly what's required for a bumper crop of oil.

El Cercado is situated in the Lecrin Valley, in the foothills of the majestic Sierra Nevada, which tower some two thousand meters above. The finca has two and a half hectares of terraced olive groves, all of which needed to be weeded, strimmed, pruned and cleaned. The process is completely free of chemicals and pesticides, resulting in fabulously smooth, and completely organic oil.

(The image is taken from kellycrul on Flickr - my camera is still roto)

No comments:

Post a Comment